Iffy hijacking advertiser

Found an error in our database? Please, post it here and we'll try to fix it asap!
arby

Iffy hijacking advertiser

Post by arby » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:23 pm

Not so much a bug report as a kind of complaint. What's up with whatever advertiser you have that keeps hijacking your site? About every other time I try to open link to an item it jumps to an add page that my anti-virus has flagged, and I have to backpage and try again (sometimes more than once) to get to what I want to see. Kind of annoying and I'm not so sure I want to be having something that's going to ping ppl's anti-virus if it was my site. Just asking.
wtfaacodex.jpg
wtfaacodex.jpg (74.92KiB)Viewed 4730 times
:player: :banghead:

Kiriak
Site Admin

Re: Iffy hijacking advertiser

Post by Kiriak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:43 pm

Sure it's annoying! I totally agree with you. Looks like some bad guys targeted the site, because it happened on the old site too.

Could you please make a screenshot of the page with that ad?
Also if possible, open the page with Chrome, open the Developer console (ctrl+shift+i), reload the page and save the Network log (right click the log->Copy->Copy as curl (cmd) and save the log (right click->Save as) from the Console tab.

This will help me to identify the bad ad. It's geo dependent, so i might never see it from my ip.

arby

Post by arby » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:04 pm

Sorry to say I'm done, I have to stop using this site. I won't take any risks anymore, it's to a point now that any search you do it NOD starts blocking everything and throwing warnings (in red now by the way), and I won't risk something getting past it. Not to mention, I can't really search anything anyway because every time you do it's blocked, and if you don't have a good AV it's hijacked; so I'm out. I hope in the future you get a handle on this, but if not I'd recommend just closing the site because I know several others that won't use it anymore either.

As for troubleshooting it for you, I don't know how to do any of that, I don't use Chrome, and I figure if you really wanted to rid your site of malicious content you'd log in from outside your server like a normal person and experience it/troubleshoot it for yourself. Sorry, not trying to be insulting, but if you don't take steps to remove it looks like you don't care.

Good luck

Kiriak
Site Admin

Post by Kiriak » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, arby. But it's very hard to control anything with ads.
As i said above, the ads are geo dependent and additionally they are behavior depended (google shows you the ads according to the analysis of your search queries), so even if i'll log in via VPN of a different country i can never see it, because the ad could be targeted on some keyword you've used in google. I'm not using any ad blockers for my sites and i never found a bad ad yet.

There are thousands of advertisers which come trough google's adsense and it's literally impossible to check them all. That's why i've asked for the network logs. If i can't pinpoint the actual malicious ad i can't catch it.
And without your help, i can't do it, because i'm not seeing it.

So i can suggest to you to clear your browser's cache and give the site's another try. If you'll encounter the bad ad again, send me the network logs from the browser and i'll report this advertiser to google. This is the only way to find the culprit.

arby

Post by arby » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:26 pm

whatever the change that was made recently that added the"continue to this site" button apparently eliminated the problem. Just wanted to let you know.

Kiriak
Site Admin

Post by Kiriak » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:12 am

Glad to hear that! And thanks for still supporting me after all these unpleasant events!